Hugo Campervans – More Go for Less Dough.
Let’s be clear about this…Hugo campervans are old and a little rough around the edges. They are basically a bed on wheels…with a small kitchenette.
And our vans don’t feature TV’s, showers, fridges or microwaves. But why pay for things you don’t need? What you DO need is a cheap, reliable way to travel around and experience New Zealand.
Hugo simply offers a good, basic campervan. Yes, our campervans are a bit older, but they are certified by the NZ Vehicle Inspection Authority and regularly serviced to ensure we keep you on the road (and Hugo provides 24 hour roadside assistance anyway).
- Renting with Hugo is cheaper, easier and less risky than buying your own van. Hugo is perfect for long hires (Hugo keeps you on the road with no risk of expensive and time-consuming repairs ).
- These vans have been well maintained and provide you with peace of mind because of our 24 hour roadside assistance programme. Hugo is perfect for that long hire. You get a great value, low cost holiday, without the risk or hassle of buying and then selling your own van.
- Hugo has just one type of van. Our campervans feature a dining area which converts to a full queen sized bed (Hugo campers are for 2-3 adults). There’s also a small kitchenette.
- Hugo is No-Frills. Bring your own sleeping bag, linen and kitchen utensils to save more money or hire them from us if you like. Too easy.
- Campervan Model: Nissan Caravan/Toyota Hiace
- Vehicle Age: Average 2000-2004
- Engine size: 2.0 litre, 4 cylinder
- Transmission: Manual or automatic (your choice of transmission is available on request but subject to availability, or it can be guaranteed for a fee)
- Fuel: 91 Unleaded Petrol
- Fuel Tank: 50-60 Litres
- Fuel Consumption: 10-12 litres/100kms
- Passengers: Seats and Sleeps 3 (1 queen size bed area)
- Length: 4.5-4.8m
- Width: 1.7m average
- External Height: 2.1m average
- Internal Height: 1.35m average
- Bed size: 1 Queen size bed (2.1m x 1.5m)
- Storage space : approx 300L (under bed area)
If you are looking for the van dimensions because you’re booking a ferry crossing with Bluebridge, please simply book it under the ‘car/van/ute> 5.5meters’ category.
To find out more about booking your ferry, click here.
- Gas cooker (single element)
- 10-20 Litre water tank
- Internal dining table
- Power Steering
- Chilly bin
- Sink with running water, tap and drain
- Radio/CD with MP3 aux input
- Curtains on all rear windows
- Mains power (240v) connection cabling
Hugo campervans are pretty economical. All vans run on unleaded petrol, which is approximately $1.95 per litre (May 2020).
That means a full tank of gas will cost you about NZ$120, and we work on an average of 10-12 litres consumption per 100kms.
Hugo Campervans insurance is comprehensive, great value and easy to understand.
Your campervan hire already includes standard insurance, but there is a $3,000 excess you would be liable for in the event of an accident (unless it is a single vehicle accident, where you may be liable for up to $4,000). If you are driving outside the agreed terms or your Hugo Rentals agreement (drunk driving, negligent driving etc) you may be liable for ALL costs associated with the accident/incident – So drive carefully. If you choose NOT to upgrade your insurance, a $3,000 bond is required and will be frozen on your credit card, which is then released at the end of your hire, when the van is returned in the agreed condition, to the agreed depot on the agreed date and time. We simply ask that our vans are returned in the same condition as when they were collected and if there’s damage, the hirer will be liable.
But you can get that your excess liability reduced to zero by upgrading your insurance. So click here to get diverted to our insurance page so you can choose the best option for you.
Accessories (optional extras)
Hugo has plenty of accessories to hire or purchase. Listed below are a few packs exclusive to Hugo, but a full list of accessory options is available within the booking screen, when you enter your quote/booking request.
Cutlery and cutlery tray
1 x fry pan, 1 x saucepan, 1 x lid
3 x plastic plates, bowls, cups
2 x tea towels
3 x china mugs
2 x queen duvets/covers
1 x queen fitted sheet
3 x pillows/pillowcases
Accessories for hire
BBQ/Grill Plate and gas cartridge – $50
Picnic chairs – $10 per chair
Picnic table – $40
Mains powered heater – $10
Mains powered lamp – $10
Solar shower – $20
Snow chains – $25
GPS Unit- $10 per day (up to $150 maximum plus $200 refundable bond)
Accessories for purchase
Two-Man Tent – $70
Sleeping Bag – $50
Additional Linen Pack – $60 (brand new linen pack of 2 sheets and 2 pillow cases)
Roadside Assistance – 24/7
Accidents sometimes happen. And occasionally, campervans breakdown (despite our comprehensive maintenance programme). Either way, we’ve got your back.
But first things first. If you’re involved in an accident (no matter how minor) you MUST stop and ensure everyone is OK. If not, call 111 immediately. And please ensure you swap details if there is a third party involved.
In the event of an accident, you need to contact us and NZ Roadside assistance. We’ll discuss your insurance options with you and do what we can to get you back on the road. NZ Roadside assistance will help with any towing or mechanical requirements.
If you breakdown, NZ Roadside assistance is there to help you 24/7 with over 3,500 service providers nationwide (from mechanics, to auto electricians and locksmiths). We operate Toyotas and Nissans only, which are extremely reliable, but it’s good to know we’ve got you covered if anything does go wrong.
Simply call the Free Phone number 0508 NZROAD (697623)